Acceptance into the show is based on the use of traditional mediums on a variety of prepared substrates/surfaces meant for visual display only, not functional work (such as ceramics/pottery) this can include but is not limited to the use of:
- Coloured pencil
As these are applied to paper, canvas and prepared art boards.
Printmaking is allowed providing the prints are:
- Hand pulled
- Wood block
- Editions remain at 100 or less
For sculptors, acceptance is based on the use of such materials as:
To create contemporary, realistic or abstract works that is for visual display only.
As the show is designed specifically for traditional artists, no other art forms will be accepted.
Forms that will not be accepted include works that are classified as:
- Folk art
- Fabric art
- Woodwork (functional)
This show is intended for Original artwork. The only allowable reproductions are limited to a single 2’x3′ clearly labelled “Reproductions” bin with paper prints only (no larger than 11″ x 14″ in size) – absolutely no reproductions are to be hung alongside originals. The sale of art cards is permitted but limited to a single display no wider than 5 feet.
New artists are required to submit a portfolio to a jury for acceptance into the show. This jury will decide whether an artists work fits within the guidelines of the show before acceptance for the first time. Subsequent years will not be required to submit to the jury unless the artist has work in a medium not previously shown to the jury they wish to exhibit at the show. Instructions for the portfolio are attached to the application form. Artists will be notified of their status on acceptance to the show once the jury has reviewed the portfolio and come to a conclusion. Any exhibitor who does not display work similar to that which was juried will forfeit participation in future shows and will be required to remove work that is not representational of materials submitted for jurying.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
New applicants will receive notification of their status of acceptance by email. If an exhibitor’s application is not accepted, they will receive a full refund.
CANCELLATIONS / REFUND POLICY
Refunds will be available – less a $25 administration fee – if notice is given in writing on or before July 19. Cancellations received after July 19 will not be entitled to a refund.
FINE PRINT/TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting an application exhibitors agree to:
- Abide by the rules of the Island Originals Fine Art Show
- Comply with any reasonable request by show officials with regards to displays and conduct.
- The use of their photos and bios for promotional purposes only.
SET UP/SHOW TIMES/DISPLAYS/BOOTHS
- 7:00-10:00 am Saturday Morning.
- Artist to be ready for business at 10:00am both days
- We are open to public 10:00am – 5:00 pm both days
- Exhibitors are required to keep their displays set up until closing.
- Dismantling displays early is not permitted, as it may be discouraging for those exhibitors who may be making a last minute sale.
- There is no set up allowed on Friday.
- Exhibitors must show for both days.
- Take down is not allowed prior to the end of the show on Sunday.
- Maximum of 58 booths allowed on a first come first serve basis. Once the 58 booths are filled you can choose to go on a waiting list in case of a cancellation.
- Spaces will be clearly marked and numbered. (Each exhibitor is assigned a space and will receive notification prior to the show in their acceptance package.)
- Exhibitors are responsible for their own display materials.
- It is recommended that exhibitors provide an umbrella or canopy, as shaded areas are extremely limited in the park.
- Electricity is not available.
- All single booth spaces are 12′ x 12′. Artists may apply for more than one space. (Additional charges are associated with multiple spaces)
- Space has been left between booths for storage of display materials. This space is not to be used for display of work.
- Display materials are the responsibility of the artist.
- The area in Marina Park is a large open space next to the water. Artists should take this into consideration to ensure they are properly protected from the elements (i.e. wind).
- Artists are encouraged to display a sign that bears their name. (See exhibit examples)
- There is no electricity available to artists for the outdoor show.
- New artists will be allocated space according to the type of medium they use. (For example the site committee will try to give artists whose work is displayed under glass a north facing booth in order to mitigate condensation.)
- Returning artists will get the same booth space as previous years unless otherwise requested.
- To ensure a visually balanced show, the organizing committee will allocate space based upon receipt of applications. First come, first served basis; no reserved spaces are available.
- Please see application forms for booth size availability.
Each booth space is 12’x12’ and costs $140 for the weekend. You may purchase more than one space. Please be prepared for how to set up your booth for the show – see Booth Samples below.
SPECIAL RATES FOR NORTH ISLAND COLLEGE STUDENTS
Students must be enrolled, full time, at North Island College to qualify. Students may share a booth space with other students. Fee for a 12’ x 12’ booth space is $100 plus tax. If there will be more than one student in the booth sharing costs, please pool the fees and make only one payment of $100. (E.g. If there are 4 students fee would be $25 each, however only one payment of $100 should be made.)
The show is designed to promote the value of investing in original art. Artists are not allowed to advertise discounted prices at the show. All exhibitors are responsible for their own sales. No telephones are available so exhibitors accepting credit cards must make their own arrangements for authorization.
IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER
The show goes on rain or shine. Exhibitors are advised to bring protective coverings to place over and under displays in the event of rain. Should heavy rain or wind conditions occur, exhibitors remain on site at their own risk.
On site security will be provided by a professional security company 5:00pm Saturday to 7:00am Sunday morning. Participating artists, at their own discretion, may leave their work in their display area. It is recommended that work be closed inside tents/canopies for the night to protect from weather.
Please note that the Show cannot be held responsible for any damages that may occur due to weather or any other uncontrollable circumstances. Artists wishing to protect themselves from these kinds of circumstances should consider insuring themselves through their own insurance company, or packing their work away with them Saturday night.
Parking is available for exhibitors close to the exhibit area. Free parking is available in a designated area adjacent to the park and close to the exhibit area. Parking passes will be provided when artists sign in to set up on the first day of the show.
There are a number of hotels, motels, B&Bs and campgrounds in the area. Please contact the Visitor Information Centre for details.
All first time applicants must submit a portfolio to be review by a jury to determine eligibility of acceptance to the Island Originals Fine Art Show & Sale. The following are the guidelines for portfolio submissions:
- 5-10 images that shows a selection of the types of works to be displayed/sold at the show
- Files must be in JPEG format
- Files can be no larger than 5MB each
- Applicants must understand that by submitting a portfolio and upon acceptance into the show that their images may be used on the website in the “gallery” and/or in any promotional materials
Please submit your portfolio with your application online.